Pageviews Since May, 2012 (That's when I added this view counter) Website has been up since 2007

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Litter Laughter - Funny or not?

Recently, my husband and I were driving across the Howard Franklin bridge that spans across the Tampa Bay in southwest Florida. We were enjoying the bright sunshine and the cool, crisp breezes. My husband handed me an apple to snack on while we finished our trip, so I heartily began chomping.

After a few minutes, I finished the apple and lowered my window to toss the core out into the bay. I didn't give that action any further thought. My husband spoke up and scolded me. "You're going to get a ticket!" he complained. I thought about it for a moment and then I offered my defense.

I explained to him that apple cores decompose and so because of that fact, it was not illegal to throw them out the window. He shook his head and said that he disagreed with me. I assured him that I was right, after all I was right most of the time whenever we had a disagreement.

Then, he turned to me and said in a rather frustrated tone, "Dead bodies decompose too, but would it be okay to throw one of those out the window?" LOL! My daughter was riding in the car with us and we both cracked up laughing at his comment for the next ten minutes.

Well, it turns out that my husband is right after all. It IS against the law to throw any trash out the window of your vehicle whether it's biodegradable or not. And the fines can be pretty hefty ranging from $500 to $1000 or more. And even if it wasn't illegal to throw these items out the window, it's a dangerous decision to make that just might cost someone's life.

These food items take longer than you think to biodegrade. An apple core, banana or orange peel can take up to six months to completely decompose. And while they are decomposing, they can attract rodents and maybe even larger animals to creep near to the road and possibly cause an accident.

Moral to the story: Sometimes your husband is right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Incredible points. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.


Here is my web site :: meska-apteka.pl