Pageviews Since May, 2012 (That's when I added this view counter) Website has been up since 2007

Friday, October 10, 2008

Funny Followers

There is a biblical statement that when "the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a pit". Well, it's true and it's hilarious sometimes. Yesterday, I was traveling on a divided highway when I began to see a line of cars in front of me with their brake lights on. 

I strained my eyes to see a little farther down the highway and I noticed blue lights and possibly other emergency vehicles. I assumed at this point that there must have been an accident on the road and traffic was beginning to come to a dead stop. 

Almost immediately to my right I saw an exit and I noticed that several other cars had the same idea as I did. In fact, some vehicles were desperate to get off this highway and were actually making rather unsafe turns to take this exit. As I was entering the exit ramp, I even saw one car that was driving the wrong way backwards to get to that exit.

Anyway, when I approached the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp along with a ton of other vehicles, I began to wonder if I knew the way around this accident. Should I turn left or right? Which way will bring me past the accident and back onto the highway that I was traveling on? I had absolutely no idea! But it looked like most of the cars in front of me were turning to the right. 

So, I imagined that maybe they were local people and maybe, just maybe they knew the way. So, I turned right and began to follow all of them. This little two-lane road began to wind around curves and coast through residential areas and all the while this long line of cars, both in front of me and in back of me continued to follow the leader.

As I passed side roads, I started to examine them with care to see if one of them looked like the one that would lead me back over to the highway that I was originally on. What on earth would that look like? I was now beginning to get frustrated with all the twists and turns in this road and then all of sudden I realized that all of the cars that I was following were gone and I was now in the lead. What the heck? I didn't know where I was going! I looked in my rear view mirror and dozens of cars were following me. 

Oh brother! I thought, What should I do now? Surely, they are not following me in hopes of getting back to that highway, are they? Well, I had to put a stop to this if for no other reason than to confirm in my mind that they were not looking to me for answers. So...I turned left into a stranger’s driveway so I could turn around and go back. 

Believe it or not, the chaos began. The immediate three or four cars that were closest behind me turned into that driveway too and when they realized that I was only turning around, they started to show some rather obvious signs of irritation. I tried not to look them in the eye while I was making my pie-cut turnaround. Most of the cars were having as much difficulty getting out of that driveway as I was and you can only imagine what must have been going on in the minds of the people who lived there. 

I finally got back to driving the other direction and decided to stop and ask for directions when I noticed that these cars were still following me! Okay, that's enough! I pulled into a gas station and waited until all of the dazed and confused drivers passed on by. There is no telling where they might have followed me to. Did I look like I knew what I was doing or something? I guess I need one of those bumper stickers that reads, "Don't follow me. I'm lost, too." People are so funny sometimes.

No comments: